Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends. And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.”
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of “interposition” and “nullification” — one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; “and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.”
This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.
With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.
- bluesennsations reblogged this from p-s-y-c-h-o-s-u-i-c-i-d-e
- bluesennsations likes this
- herloveforrice reblogged this from p-s-y-c-h-o-s-u-i-c-i-d-e
- abimenoir reblogged this from p-s-y-c-h-o-s-u-i-c-i-d-e
- bohemianwaif likes this
- thegirlcalledjanedoe likes this
- p-s-y-c-h-o-s-u-i-c-i-d-e reblogged this from unhistorical
- p-s-y-c-h-o-s-u-i-c-i-d-e likes this
- bigboikam reblogged this from imyourdaddydopie
- ideuza reblogged this from thedevilstrouser
- ideuza likes this
- teflindonesia likes this
- schmiglet likes this
- foreveracopiee likes this
- ortensieingiardino reblogged this from unhistorical
- chessboard-fields likes this
- carlossv10 reblogged this from theeryanleflare
- carlossv10 likes this
- worldfallsdown likes this
- shelbraejae13 likes this
- galahad3000 likes this
- mugoledo reblogged this from vivalajazziejaydubz21
- capekodkwassacasa reblogged this from unhistorical
- capekodkwassacasa likes this
- angelusgabriella reblogged this from unhistorical
- angelusgabriella likes this
- chokolato likes this
- thekideveryoneloves reblogged this from unhistorical
- infinityteenagedream likes this
- sky0zm likes this
- adrenalineoverhaul reblogged this from fuckyeahhistorycrushes
- ok2ray likes this
- this-gay-thing-is-old-news likes this
- wickedzipleap reblogged this from ray-winters-sings
- wickedzipleap likes this
- therushyougivemebaby reblogged this from sassyasssally
- therushyougivemebaby likes this
- mayothefirst reblogged this from violent-colors-so-obscene
- mayothefirst likes this
- real-heroes-die-alone likes this
- sassyasssally likes this
- adiorkable likes this
- sassyasssally reblogged this from ray-winters-sings
- imsorryimadetheface reblogged this from ray-winters-sings
- violent-colors-so-obscene reblogged this from craigscardigans
- realworldmonster likes this
- itsalexxiiss reblogged this from ray-winters-sings
- itsalexxiiss likes this
- spookyspacekook reblogged this from craigscardigans
- dollchucky reblogged this from ray-winters-sings