Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends. And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.”
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of “interposition” and “nullification” — one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; “and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.”
This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.
With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.
- anttiraanta likes this
- arbitrarysix likes this
- shadeling likes this
- whatdoespoisontastelike reblogged this from blueshoesandbluemountains
- exeterlinden likes this
- 4everhungry likes this
- highhemlines likes this
- amongseafarers likes this
- breakthebricks likes this
- johnttavares likes this
- mustangsally78 likes this
- shadowedseas likes this
- losangelesgooaal reblogged this from puckling
- simplyykimberly likes this
- othersideofthis likes this
- serenadestrong likes this
- awkdinosaur reblogged this from puckling
- incidental-fire likes this
- likemymask likes this
- whisperins reblogged this from puckling
- whatdoespoisontastelike likes this
- poalabear likes this
- kissmeagainarthas reblogged this from blueshoesandbluemountains
- nesquikchocolate likes this
- shoshanah-ben-hohim reblogged this from puckling and added:
- blueshoesandbluemountains reblogged this from puckling
- uncapitaine likes this
- pageleaf reblogged this from puckling
- puckling reblogged this from ellot
- ellot reblogged this from aohatsu
- kg1223 reblogged this from unhistorical
- kg1223 likes this
- hayheyhey likes this
- ailelie reblogged this from malachite77
- ailelie likes this
- a-nonsensical-mess likes this
- a-nonsensical-mess reblogged this from topkaner
- princebudaj reblogged this from topkaner
- princebudaj likes this
- writing0111 likes this
- nofreescotch likes this
- undercrowns likes this
- dullscissors11 likes this
- topkaner reblogged this from aohatsu
- darkangel0410 reblogged this from aohatsu
- malachite77 reblogged this from aohatsu
- aohatsu reblogged this from aohatsu
- mxgurl018 likes this
- thereluctanthipster reblogged this from endquestionmark
- seanssurreallife reblogged this from unhistorical