November 19, 1863: Abraham Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address.
At Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where the bloodiest battle of the Civil War was fought in July of 1863, Abraham Lincoln delivered a speech regarded as not only one of his greatest speeches, but also one of the most famous speeches in American history. It was five months after the battle and ten months after the issuance of the Emancipation Proclamation.
Lincoln’s speech, though the most memorable, was not the main event at Gettysburg that day; the featured orator was Edward Everett, who spoke for over two hours at the dedication of the Gettysburg Soldiers’ National Cemetery. Lincoln, who was diagnosed with a mild case of smallpox following the dedication, delivered a short speech (less than 300 words long) in under three minutes as almost an afterthought. Everett later wrote Lincoln praising the speech, commenting that he would have been glad to have been able to do in two hours what Lincoln did “in two minutes”. Others were not so effusive in their praise. A Democratic-leaning newspaper called it “silly, flat and dishwatery”.
Full text of the speech:
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Only one confirmed photograph of Lincoln at Gettysburg exists.
- justwinraiders reblogged this from unhistorical
- sinopatientwolf likes this
- taneleertivanthecollector likes this
- hannahdesu likes this
- untoldstoriesofabrokenbitch reblogged this from dearaimee
- ineedasweetdistraction reblogged this from dearaimee and added:
- dearaimee reblogged this from unhistorical
- buttsexington likes this
- queensshireen likes this
- queensshireen reblogged this from unhistorical
- rahexeter3 reblogged this from unhistorical
- joaovcunha likes this
- heathercasey1980 likes this
- everyonelikedbubbahotep likes this
- alfiedawg reblogged this from unhistorical
- knowhermoreorless likes this
- heyowesternmass reblogged this from gijoe68
- heyowesternmass likes this
- whocanbeagainstus reblogged this from immature-romanticism
- estilicon likes this
- thetalleranderson reblogged this from unhistorical
- microwavedbufriedos likes this
- frickinef reblogged this from misselegantheart
- frickinef likes this
- misselegantheart reblogged this from kim-sshi
- kim-sshi reblogged this from greyblueskies
- greyblueskies reblogged this from illuminatevous
- thewrathofsithis reblogged this from batfamilia
- minurecs likes this
- raining-stars likes this
- sabbtart reblogged this from unhistorical
- zal001 likes this
- wantering-jewelry likes this
- cosa-restera reblogged this from kosmonaunt
- eibbore likes this
- benjaminspanklin likes this
- magadocious likes this
- myfirstnameisweird reblogged this from unhistorical
- nevadunn likes this
- katykelly42 likes this
- katykelly42 reblogged this from unhistorical
- quinn-bear reblogged this from tht1chck
- quinn-bear likes this
- samieryan likes this
- vigwig reblogged this from brickprotege
- vigwig likes this
- theoriginalcemeterygirl likes this
- inmylackofsparetime reblogged this from dreamer-king
- captain-ann reblogged this from welcometocampgambino
- taiyofebreeze reblogged this from kosmonaunt