November 12, 1969: An American journalist breaks the story of the My Lai Massacre.

When it took place in March of 1968, the My Lai massacre, which resulted in the death of at least 400 civilians, went unnoticed by the American public. On March 16, American soldiers entered the village of Son My (which contained the My Lai and My Khe hamlets) expecting to engage Viet Cong fighters directly there; in fact, the company’s commanding officer was quoted as telling his men: “They’re all V.C., now go and get them”. The inexperienced soldiers found no evidence of any enemy fighters in the village. Instead of moving on, they began rounding up (unarmed) civilians and shooting them, indiscriminately, brutally - quickly. By the end of the day, the soldiers had finished off (and in some cases tortured or raped) between 347 and 504 civilians. Only one American was injured. 

The Americans who attempted to stop the atrocities - Hugh Thompson, Jr. and his helicopter crew - were denounced by some government officials as traitors; when the My Lai Massacre was revealed to the public, the three men received hate mail and death threats, although all three later received the Soldier’s Medal for their actions, which included saving several villagers. 

Conversely, the conviction and sentence of 2nd Lt. William Calley, who reportedly personally took it upon himself to mow down civilians with a machine gun, was received with anger by the American public. Flags across the country were flown at half-mast in his honor, and more than one state legislature requested clemency on his behalf. Still, when Seymour Hersh broke the story of the massacre on November 12, 1968 in a report for which he received a Pulitzer Prize, American anti-war sentiment reached new heights, and outrage over the massacre and subsequent cover-up was not only domestic but international as well. In 1970, the United States Army charged over a dozen officers in connection with the massacre, but in the end, only William Calley was convicted - even Calley’s sentence was reduced from life in prison to three years under house arrest. Senior army officials reasoned that Calley had believed that he had simply been “following orders”…

Most photographs of the event were taken by Ronald Haeberle; some of them can be viewed here.

  1. st0ryofalonelyguy reblogged this from unhistorical
  2. fuckromero reblogged this from unhistorical
  3. violentlyhigh reblogged this from unhistorical
  4. ausarthewarlord reblogged this from unhistorical
  5. pppaper-flowersss reblogged this from unhistorical
  6. aeralian reblogged this from bringiton911
  7. bringiton911 reblogged this from unhistorical
  8. yummymushroom reblogged this from unhistorical
  9. ominoususa reblogged this from unhistorical
  10. grotesquerie reblogged this from bvlthier
  11. bvlthier reblogged this from williams-blood
  12. thecuriousmachine reblogged this from kiss-my-aspergers
  13. sparktoafire reblogged this from plutoidi
  14. plutoidi reblogged this from satanicspacecat
  15. tenfeetaboveyou reblogged this from williams-blood
  16. atomtoadamtoatom reblogged this from williams-blood
  17. totallyy reblogged this from williams-blood
  18. t-i-a-r-n-a reblogged this from satanicspacecat
  19. dankbeyondnecropsy reblogged this from freyjasdotter
  20. ramdomchaos reblogged this from luciferandleviathans
  21. freyjasdotter reblogged this from satanicspacecat
  22. satanicspacecat reblogged this from thewestboromassacre
  23. luciferandleviathans reblogged this from hangingoutwithjim
  24. sunkillerkid reblogged this from hangingoutwithjim and added:
  25. hangingoutwithjim reblogged this from thewestboromassacre
  26. thewestboromassacre reblogged this from kiss-my-aspergers
  27. kiss-my-aspergers reblogged this from williams-blood