August 26, 1920: The 19th Amendment goes into effect.
The 19th Amendment of the Constitution was ratified early that month, finally granting women the right to vote. In some states, mainly in the West, many women were already enfranchised (Wyoming in 1869 and later Washington, California, Oregon, and Montana); before 1920, a woman had served in Congress (Jeannette Rankin) and two women had already attempted to run for the presidency. But, for the time-being, none of these women had the Constitutional right to vote. For four decades following 1878, the issue of a Constitutional amendment providing for women’s suffrage was introduced at each session of Congress, only to be defeated each time. The exact version first introduced in 1878 was the same one that passed in 1919, forty-one years later.
In 1912, Theodore Roosevelt’s “Bull Moose” Progressive Party became the first national political party to adopt women’s suffrage as part of its platform. In 1918, Democrat Woodrow Wilson also appealed heavily to the House in favor of a Constitutional amendment. Finally, in May 1919, the President called a special session of Congress to consider the proposal again; this time, the House approved the amendment, as did the Senate (after much deliberation).
Thirty-six states were needed to complete the ratification of the amendment. Thirty-five ratified relatively quickly between June 1919 and March 1920, but after the thirty-fifth (Washington), five long months passed before Tennessee, the last state needed, approved the amendment on August 18, 1920 by a narrow margin. The last state to ratify was Mississippi, which did not do so until 1984, sixty-four years after it went into effect.
The document itself was actually very brief, reading only:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
The adoption of these two simple sentences was the culmination of over seventy years of activism and campaigning.
- breannfromlondon likes this
- king-mere-od likes this
- king-mere-od reblogged this from unhistorical and added:
- lauryn-art reblogged this from unhistorical
- sharpmutt reblogged this from thefeistyfirefish
- sharpmutt likes this
- sumpo0sie reblogged this from batcave-69
- sumpo0sie likes this
- fucknofiretruck likes this
- exhalea likes this
- thefeistyfirefish reblogged this from batcave-69
- stopfuckingfindingme reblogged this from batcave-69
- batcave-69 reblogged this from unhistorical
- hannahdesu likes this
- myteamamerica1920 likes this
- suffragettess reblogged this from unhistorical
- thewingwherewith likes this
- republiconthebeach reblogged this from slowitdowngoeasy
- slowitdowngoeasy reblogged this from unhistorical
- engulfedsane reblogged this from unhistorical
- overyoursademptytown reblogged this from unhistorical
- other-as-we-never-were reblogged this from unhistorical
- wkiiiiii likes this
- kelsiesmagicgarden reblogged this from unhistorical
- phronemofobi reblogged this from whatsaybeauty
- finnnels0n likes this
- whatsaybeauty reblogged this from unhistorical
- heymaccarena likes this
- 1001nightsofsnowfall reblogged this from alessandrahautumn
- illustratedpalace reblogged this from unhistorical
- ennavas likes this
- coffeecold likes this
- eternal-awesomeness likes this
- heromerica reblogged this from derelictpariah
- derelictpariah reblogged this from unhistorical
- hawkseyedgirl reblogged this from perkamentus
- evemalfoy reblogged this from notebook-keeper
- geannehernandez reblogged this from unhistorical
- applepiepumpkinpie likes this
- sarafira reblogged this from unhistorical
- almostnormal-ish likes this
- kingdomhearts615 reblogged this from unhistorical
- whitegurrrlproblems reblogged this from unhistorical
- lady-rose reblogged this from unhistorical
- scitchet likes this
- girl-museum likes this
- lormiguel likes this
- parkerticias reblogged this from formerly-vaginawoolf
- peggyannsmith reblogged this from unhistorical
- ccmonbb reblogged this from general-westergaard