July 12, 1804: Alexander Hamilton dies.
But rather than grieve, let us instead reflect upon some of the man’s quotes (and some quotes about him), while listening to the Alexander Hamilton rap on repeat.
Men are rather reasoning than reasonable animals, for the most part governed by the impulse of passion.
Here, sir, the people govern; here they act by their immediate representatives.
I never expect to see a perfect work from imperfect man. The result of the deliberations of all collective bodies must necessarily be a compound, as well of the errors and prejudices, as of the good sense and wisdom, of the individuals of whom they are composed.
In politics, as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselytes by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution.
The system, though it may not be perfect in every part, is, upon the whole, a good one; is the best that the present views and circumstances of the country will permit; and is such an one as promises every species of security which a reasonable people can desire.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
Quotes on Hamilton:
…there are few men to be found, of his age, who has a more general knowledge than he possesses, and none whose Soul is more firmly engaged in the cause, or who exceeds him in probity and Sterling virtue.
- George Washington
I consider Napoleon, Fox, and Hamilton, the three greatest men of our epoch, and if I were forced to decide between the three, I would give without hesitation the first place to Hamilton. He divined Europe.
Hamilton was the greatest constructive mind in all our history and I should come pretty near saying… in the history of modern statesmen in any country.
- Henry Cabot Lodge
Hamilton, the most brilliant American statesman who ever lived, possessing the loftiest and keenest intellect of his time, was of course easily the foremost champion in the ranks of the New York Federalists…
- Theodore Roosevelt
- madpinko reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- theprettynerdie reblogged this from retrocampaigns and added:
- pinkphenolphthalein likes this
- dobharcu reblogged this from livelyair
- madaskimmy reblogged this from carolineontheshore
- abbyevan reblogged this from gloomybears
- twosidedconfidence reblogged this from unhistorical
- asaltytripwithpepper reblogged this from meghanic
- boetz likes this
- kindabigdeal likes this
- jenny-ma likes this
- susheep reblogged this from letthemhavepie
- therealnickearle16 reblogged this from unhistorical
- supplyside likes this
- letthemhavepie reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- dancngurl153 reblogged this from annie-wyatt
- annie-wyatt reblogged this from unhistorical
- thedailyclark reblogged this from retrocampaigns
- churrocigar likes this
- joaquinthephoenix reblogged this from unhistorical
- joaquinthephoenix likes this
- pennsylvania-avenue likes this
- william1in100 reblogged this from collectivehistory
- william1in100 likes this
- meghanic reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- ilgalantuomo likes this
- stowlawn likes this
- critiquesouriant likes this
- brincadeiraa likes this
- madpinko likes this
- meresamun reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- m0onshineinmyro0m likes this
- magadocious likes this
- garrickliang likes this
- ocean-lights likes this
- imreallyshort69 likes this
- flitallaflutter reblogged this from extraordinarilyordinaryme
- aurric likes this
- aepiphany likes this
- caseyrules likes this
- earlgreyandlattes reblogged this from collectivehistory
- jaclynwithnok likes this
- casse-toi-connard likes this
- evil-darth-punk likes this
- randomscorpio likes this
- cumin-spice reblogged this from retrocampaigns
- factsare-stubborn-things likes this
- factsare-stubborn-things reblogged this from immature-romanticism
- immature-romanticism reblogged this from retrocampaigns
- toddcamack likes this