October 3, 1908: The first issue of the original Pravda (Пра́вда) is published. 

Until 1991, when President Yeltsin shut down the newspaper, Pravda was the official organ newspaper of the Soviet Union. When it was founded by Leon Trotsky in 1908, however, Pravda (meaning “Truth”) was a center-left newspaper aimed at the lower class; it received letters from workers each day detailing their oppression by the bourgeoisie and the capitalists, commenting on workers’ strikes, and expressing general support for the newspaper’s message.

After over two years of tsarist oppression, Pravda was discontinued in 1912, but it was later revived in March 1918 after the 1917 Revolution, whereupon it became the primary official newspaper of the Soviet Communist Party. The earliest incarnation was ignored by Soviet historians after Trotsky’s expulsion because of his connection to it.