September 30, 1938: The Munich Agreement cedes the Sudetenland to Nazi Germany.
The Munich Agreement, signed just after 1:00 AM on September 30, is remembered as one of the most spectacular examples of the failure of appeasement. Naturally, Neville Chamberlain was a signer.
Under the threat of war, Czechoslovakia was forced to annex a border region of their country called the Sudetenland, mostly inhabited by ethnic Germans. The occupation of the Sudetenland by the Germany army (and evacuation of Czechoslovakians) was scheduled to be complete by October 10. This Czechoslovakian government did not have any say in the annexation, as only Germany, the U.K., France, and Italy were present at the conference.
The same day, after Chamberlain returned from Munich, he delivered his famous (and deliciously ironic) “peace for our time” speech.
- artbankagone likes this
- cooljohnny29 likes this
- alenat777 likes this
- jadedinjcrew likes this
- justpackandleave reblogged this from broskvovyledovycaj
- broskvovyledovycaj reblogged this from get-to-know-cz
- europeanheart likes this
- justpackandleave likes this
- eli-era reblogged this from kadetjaina
- bladeofberserk likes this
- nebojmalicka likes this
- kadetjaina likes this
- kadetjaina reblogged this from forever-drowning-in-tears
- forever-drowning-in-tears reblogged this from get-to-know-cz
- urbsantiquafuit likes this
- guitarguy357 reblogged this from get-to-know-cz
- guitarguy357 likes this
- shakingsphere likes this
- thusspakestu reblogged this from get-to-know-cz
- fitzempress likes this
- yamikisara reblogged this from get-to-know-cz
- broskvovyledovycaj likes this
- get-to-know-cz reblogged this from unhistorical
- vnshkk likes this
- stukaparty likes this
- aanyushka reblogged this from unhistorical
- unhistorical posted this